Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words...









Yesterday I observed our wild, fluffy squirrel friends partaking of nuts we supply them with daily, throughout the year. There were two squirrels visiting yesterday, staying close to each other, and I ventured to give them names. Because I believe they may be a male and a female cohabiting together I named them Michelle and Craig Squirrel of Holly Sister Creek, which is a very tiny, imagined community situated deep within the wilds of the golf course they live in, here in Hollister, California. This golf course is a section of Paradise where many small, furry creatures live and call home. Do you believe all of that about Holly Sister Creek? You have to close your eyes to imagine Holly Sister Creek because it is an imaginary kingdom here in Paradise.

After accomplishing my task of retrieving my digital camera I held it at my patio window, ready to snap a picture of our delightful twosome squirrel friends. Both squirrels saw me with camera in hand, and one, the timid one, took flight for the nearest palm tree that grows out of our lawn. I was left with only one tiny, fluffy rodent to photograph, and my guess is that it was the male, Craig Squirrel, who was the one who stayed to have his image photographed. I say this because I have seen over and over again that in nature it is always the males that are brave enough to remain when a human happens upon their private scene.

After Craig Squirrel visited the nut box he scurried over to the palm where Michelle Squirrel was ensconced, and he climbed up to his little friend handing over his unopened nut to Michelle. Then the male, I am sure my proud, unafraid visitor was the male, revisited the nut box to select the perfect nut for himself. It was at this time when I was able to snap a couple of digital photos, which I am sure anyone who knows what it is like living here in Paradise will enjoy viewing.

Our little squirrel friend continued to visit the nut box, and in-between his visits to the nut box, it was visited by several blue, Scrub Jays whom also love nuts in the shell. I am happy and proud to say that during last spring and summer our jays had several eggs hatch in their nests in the spreading pine trees just outside out fence, increasing the Scrub Jay population. I counted eight jays coming and going yesterday, visiting the nut box. Last fall I had noted that there were fewer jays coming into our yard, and I worried if the ferocious possum, who lives in the area, had something to do with our diminishing jay population.

One of the larger, older Scrub Jays earned the name of Buddy Boy from me because he or she, but most likely it is he, comes to the nut box while I am still standing next to it after filling it up with nuts in the shell. Because he is older and wiser he has come to acknowledge my being in his presense, and he knows that I will not harm him.

Yesterday the jay that I photographed through my patio window appeared to be one of the younger, sleeker jays. I snapped several pictures and thought the two I am publishing with this dialogue were probably the best considering the wild nature of these birds; it is difficult to take their picture. Any movement or sound generally ‘spooks’ them causing a 'flight' to safety, accompanied by their warning screeches, and out of camera range they fly!

As I write this today, I am looking out into my yard watching squirrels and jays come and go to the nut box we keep on our patio. It is a chilly day but the sun is shining, and nuts need to be taken and eaten to fuel our wild creatures for the long, cold night that lies ahead for them.

That’s my report from Paradise for today; thank you for reading.

Carol Garnier Dutra

Copyright © 2010 by Carol Garnier Dutra
.

No comments:

Post a Comment